The first and most important phase of any skincare routine.
Many seasonal trends that trickle down from fashion’s runways to the beauty counter are simply impractical for the everyday woman. Here are four goof-proof beauty trends to fall back on and how to wear them in order to embrace the playful drama of the season.
1. The romantic lip: A deep, brooding, full-pigmented pout is the quickest way to draw the line from easy summer beauty into a cool and structured fall look. A semi-matte black lipstick (not too flat, not too shiny), can be both gothic and fun, but most will feel more comfortable in rich wine tones. For the colour-shy, a deep-hued, but sheer coverage gloss is a great option.
2. The perfect brow: The full brow is still the most youthful and balancing feature on the face and this season is no exception. Whether structured or wispy, a brow can change a face in an instant. This is why microblading – a form of tattooing where a blade is used to make hair stroke-like incisions in the brow with pigment – is having a resurgence in the permanent makeup world. It’s becoming a sought-after “new” spa treatment! But beware, this is serious business where sterilization meets artistry, so the artist should ensure that they have familiarized themselves with how to handle blood-borne pathogens, wears gloves and a mask, and uses either disposable tools or properly sterilizes them, for their own safety and that of the client. For a quicker fix, there are fine, waterproof brow pens that simulate the real thing when applied in short upward strokes.
3. Black eyeliner: A heavy black eyeliner (think crisp, not smoky) all the way around the eye, or a sleek, winged cat shape will glam up a face in an instant. If applying a cream or liquid eyeliner with a brush is too difficult, consider a smooth black pencil and run it through the upper eyelashes in short dashes for instant lash-thickening and definition. Eye shadows are an option this season; to make the eyes the focus, go for some gold or rose-gold hued shimmer on the lids. A fine shimmer (not sparkle) is still fine for mature lids, no matter what you’ve heard!
4. Healthy skin: It doesn’t matter how on-trend lips or brows are, if the skin is unhappy, people can tell. Here is a skincare regimen you can recommend to your client that will hopefully become a ritual for them (the number of steps will vary depending on their needs and habits): A well-blended and hydrating foundation to even out skin tone is a good place to start, then a concealer or heavier coverage foundation hides any blemishes or dark spots. Using a clean finger to pat-pat-pat concealer into the skin is better than dragging it with a brush (the warmth of the skin and the patting motion will make the product blend seamlessly). Finally, brighten under the eyes by adding a pinky-toned or caramel-toned brightening stick to the inner and outer corners, for a look that says daylight savings just started, everyday!
1. emerginC – Scientific Organics Facial Cleansing Wipes www.emerginc.com
2. SST Cosmetics – Smokey Beige Hydrating Lipstick www.sstsignatureseries.com
3. Tina Davies Professional – Harmony Microblade – www.tinadavies.com
4. Mirabella – Baked Sand Bronzer – www.mirabellabeauty.com
5. Repêchage – Fusion Express Bar and Spa Masks – www.repechage.com